View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #136
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
How do you all typically play? Do you manage, GM, or both? Do you manage games directly or sim seasons.

I play GM only, with the full real-world universe, but with fictional players. I rarely intervene with the manager's decisions. The only exceptions are sometimes I'll force start a guy at a position, and occasionally I'll intervene late in a game in a pinch hitting decision or relief pitcher decision.

As for the default settings, I impose service time limits for minor leagues (except AA and AAA). It keeps players moving up, and prevents the AI teams from stocking the rookie leagues with a bunch of ringers who demoralize my young prospects. I also run autocalc every season just before opening day, using the 2018 season modifiers. Without autocalc, you'll eventually see the hitting stats get out of whack over a long period of time, with multiple guys hitting 800+ career home runs. With autocalc, my season leader in HR's is usually in the 50's, and every once in a while a guy will hit more than 60 in a season, but nothing outrageous. League ERA is usually around 4.00, and league batting average is usually around .245 to .250. In my current long-time sim, coming up on 80 years, the all-time career leader in HR's had 773, and the #2 guy had 720, so far the only two with over 700. To me, this is much more immersive than the multiple 800+ HR guys you'll end up with if you just play with the default settings over time.

For the AI settings, I set trading difficulty at "hard" and trading preference to "favor prospects". The AI does a better job in OOTP22, so I don't use "very hard" and "heavily favor prospects" anymore, as it basically puts a stranglehold on making reasonable trades. For Player Evaluation AI Settings, I use 25-25-25-25. This is the best ratio I've found to help the AI's evaluation of players.

I don't do much simming, I usually play out at least three or four innings in each game and sim the rest.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 06-01-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote