View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #425
MIJB#19
Coordinator

So we now have Denmark, Russia and Finland equal with 3 points. Denmark is clearly the #2 team now, but between #3 and #4 I'm confused on how UEFA intends to apply the rules:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEFA Regulations Euro 2020
20.01 If two or more teams in the same group are equal on points on completion of the
final tournament group stage, the following criteria are applied, in the order
given, to determine their rankings:
a. higher number of points obtained in the matches played among the teams in
question;
b. superior goal difference resulting from the matches played among the teams
in question;
c. higher number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in
question;
d. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking,
criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the
remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not
lead to a decision, criteria e) to i) apply in the order given to the two or more
teams still equal:
point b is applied:
Denmark 4-2 (0-1 Finland, 4-1 Russia)
Finland 1-1 (1-0 Denmark, 0-1 Russia)
Russia 2-4 (1-0 Finland, 1-4 Denmark)

In the past I would read that as meaning all is final after point b. For whatever reason I've read it this time around as meaning that Denmark is #2 and the determination of #3 will go through the whole process another time, this time having Russia the head-to-head winner, that is how I wrote it above. But I think I wrote it wrong in post #422 of this thread.

In the end, it might not matter as 3 points and a goal difference worse than -1 will probably be insufficient to be amongst the 4 best 3rd place teams.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote