View Single Post
Old 10-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #809
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Let's keep this less about who did or said what, or who is more in the wrong, and more on how we are dealing with things, either in life, family, or how the conflict or other issues are hurting and how we're dealing with it.

I'm basically in the same situation as you, although not as direct. My parents are full-on Trumpers, live in Texas, watch all of that poisonous TV BS, etc. My brother is in between it all and I think has basically told my parents not to talk politics with me because they rarely ever bring anything up when we talk or are together. My brother's a "fiscal policy over everything else" person, which pisses me off even more because he can see what's going on and yet all he cares about is how it personally affects his bottom line, but he's at least rational about most things and we can have a good dialogue. My parents... no way.

I'm not happy walking on eggshells around my parents because it's stressful as hell, but I only see them 2-3 times a year, tops, and it's just not worth my mental health to get into it with them. The trade-off in terms of time I have to deal with them versus the destruction to our relationship and how much of my life would be consumed by the fallout is just not worth it. And I'm not changing their minds, nor am I going to coddle them and their views as somehow legitimate (at least on the big, core issues). No good could come from talking about it, from my perspective.

So, I just hold my breath and hope nothing explosive happens when we're together. The recent comments from Lindell really hit home for me because he was talking about doing something the week of Thanksgiving so it blows up and causes fistfights amongst family during Thanksgiving. Because that's totally what would occur (not a literally fistfight, of course, but I'd probably tell my parents their visit is cut short and they can head home if things went too sideways).

I fully realize my position is a total cop-out and I'm not doing my part to help things, but nothing is going to change their positions and the only way it will end is when they are gone, sadly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote