View Single Post
Old 11-05-2021, 10:41 AM   #3705
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
No. I don't think that's true.

Here's the way I see it. You're viewing it from the point of view that the candidate is really important, unless I misunderstand you. Others, and I think this is more likely but I don't have a big dog in the fight, think 'no, it wasn't really much about the candidate at all, only a small part is that and it's primarily a reflection on Biden and the national party'. If it's a referendum on Biden, the more Democrats lose by the more it's an indication of a reaction against what is happening by Democrats on a national stage and the more it strengthens moderates. Conversely, the more Democrats win by, i.e. if there was no rightward swing from the '20 results or a very small one, it would be seen as an endorsement of more progressive policies and would weaken moderates.

So, viewed that way, yes a moderate candidate can win and it can be a bad thing for moderates as a whole. As I said previously, it depends on what you think happened. Was this primarily about McAullife and Youngkin, or primarily about a larger picture?

Brian yes this is what I was meaning frankly-big picture and voters looking at it as a referendum on the Democratic party and where it is going or trying to. I am actually in favor of many of the progressive agenda items and agree many other places in the world already have them. But if we are not careful in the pursuit of them we will get Trump reelected. That to me would be far worse than not getting bad family leave right now. Manchin as I had warned a year ago is a real problem too.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote