View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #821
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I would agree on this except this deals with immediate family. There is a grey area with in-laws but 2 brothers is a lot of give up. Additionally, there may be some niece & nephews involved ... it's a high price to pay to miss out in all those relationships just "to be right" (regardless if you really are or not).

Full disclosure, I am estranged from my brother and sister. It has nothing to do with politics or social issues but how they treated our mother. I try to stay connected with nieces and nephews but frak my siblings. My side of the family is irreparably fractured.

Discussing politics is easily avoided. Too high of a price to pay IMO.

If it was easily avoidable, we would not have the issues that we have today.

I think it is especially important with immediate family. Those are supposed to be the people with whom you can be your most authentic self. Those are the people that you should be able to say that while I disagree with any or all of your political opinions, I love you anyways. It is not about being right or not for me.

That is not to say that we all don't have a line. We do and we should. I don't believe anyone should have to compromise all their principles in order to keep the family together. It is all about where that line is.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote