View Single Post
Old 11-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #842
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post

I don't have dreams for myself anymore, I just want to make sure my kids can live and grow and be happy and capable of being on their own. My daughter is almost there, but the boys, I just want to make sure they can be just as happy and successful. It's scary to think the one will be a teen in 4 years.

I don't have a single regret on my life. I don't need to be richer or more influential, but I have found I've pared down on social life.

Almost eerie how similar to what I say this part is

Dreams? Bwahahah. I'm 54,let's say that my lifestyle isn't particularly healthy and leave it at that. I have nothing really left to do except responsibilities, my VERY few aspirations left aren't realistic for various reasons, and in something I realized some time back that REALLY seems to throw people because I say it casually: I'm on the downhill side of things.

Unless you see me getting to 108 then reality is that I'm past halfway. That's just how it is. What's left is playing out the string.

I actually came here to post a different comment but you've got me beat. Zero regrets is better than my (lower than average IMO) two that I say out loud. 1) ever buying a house in "Hooterville" and 2) putting a damned pool in the backyard here. That's basically it, which I figure is pretty damned good for a lifetime.

There's all sorts of shit that I wish had turned out differently, but that's different that "regret", or how I distinguish them. I mostly figure that all other choices I've made are subject to the butterfly effect and I'd create unacceptable risk for things turning out worse by tinkering with them.
Better to leave well enough alone. I may not have had anyone's idea --hell, including my own -- of a "best life" but it could certainly have been much much worse.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-09-2021 at 04:27 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote