View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #1909
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Saban went 15-17 with Gus Frerotte (at age 34), Sage Rosenfels, Joey Harrington (in perhaps his best season), Daunte Culpepper and Cleo Lemon at quarterback. He wanted Drew Brees. Drew Brees wanted to be in Miami. The narrative that Saban felt he wasn't supported is understandable.

They went 1-15 after Saban left and have had a winning record only three times since. I think the jury is out on whether Saban can coach at the NFL level. Not that the same skill set is necessary.

Saban also had a really talented defense. And he did have control over personnel. He made the decision to take Ronnie Brown with the #2 pick instead of Aaron Rodgers (who he scouted heavily). He chose to trade a high 2nd round pick for Culpepper.

Brees has always been an excuse in hindsight. At the time, he wasn't a star and there is no guarantee that he would have evolved into a Hall of Famer in Saban's offense. I'd say Sean Payton played a large role in transforming Brees and was light years ahead of anything the Dolphins were scheming up back in the day.

He was outclassed at the NFL level and he left in part because the players on the team despised him. Numerous accounts of players who almost got into physical confrontations. Dealing with 19-year-olds who you can dangle a scholarship over their head is considerably easier than professionals.

I'm sure if you gave him a Hall of Fame QB and the talent advantage he has in every game at Alabama, he would have been a success in the NFL. But so would a lot of coaches. As I said, great college coach, just not good enough to cut it in the big leagues.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote