View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #325
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
My piloty son Zachary as finished his Commercial pilot rating and his Commercial Multi Engine rating this year. He started a job flying as the 2nd pilot on a King Air on some weekends. He's already done a Denver and Martha's Vineyard trip. He really likes it. He's still on track to graduate in a year and a half.

My company is funneling all future prospects into a recruitment program. The entire process puts them through the same interview and screening process that every other job applicant goes through. He still would need to graduate college, fly enough to get his minimum required hours as an instructor or in the King Air, then get hired by a partner airline and work there a minimum of 2 years (more like 2.5 or 3) then he'd be eligible to flow right to the main company. So the whole thing is 3.5-5 years away. But.....

He finally got his invitation to start the process. This weekend he had to take and pass an corporate ethics exam, the personality tests, and the brain problems/knowledge and skills screening. This morning he got the invitation to schedule his interview. I am very happy for him. His interview is scheduled for the middle of December. He's got that to plan and look forward to now. Easy to be a proud dad.

Zach interviewed at my company in Denver on the 14th and he told me yesterday when I finished my trip that he got his acceptance email. I was so excited, and relieved. I couldn't imagine how dealing with him, or how I would have dealt with myself had he not been picked. So what does this mean?

It means that he's got a pathway to my company. Basically, he needs to graduate, get hired as a CFI, teach and keep flying the King Air to build his time to 1000 hours. Then he needs to get hired at a regional airline that partners with mine, and be there for a minimum of another 2000 hours (which should take around 3 years). Once he has fulfilled all those requirements he will be able to flow directly to my airline.

So essentially he has a pathway to a 10M+ plus career as long as he stays motivated, keeps his head on straight, keeps flying safe and doesn't get into trouble or make bad choices. That interview means he doesn't ever need to interview for that job again. It makes me incredibly proud.

My other son, Ean has also been busy. I think I mentioned that he's a very avid disc golfer. He talked his way into his first job working in a local shop, is active in the local groups, has met a bunch of people. He's a film and journalism major and has been editing and producing his own work for years. He started cold messaging the big and popular disc golf channels on You Tube asking about internships and such. He's on track to graduate in three years too. One of the companies said they were looking for someone. They did a zoom interview, he submitted work he's done, and they talked on the phone about long term goals and career direction. The company is either the 2nd or 3rd largest producer of disc golf videos and tournament coverage on the internet. Their videos produce 20-30k views each. He offered Ean an unpaid internship to edit and work on videos while he's in school. Offered to fly him to a couple tournaments over the summer so he could work on shooting and such, and then if they are all still good when he graduates, he'll hire him on full time. Ean was over the moon excited about it.

It's crazy that both boys are doing things they love. They are showing their mettle and their determination and drive and spread their wings. I am over the moon as a parent.

They are also leaving on their own vacation the day after Christmas. They've planned out a trip that takes them away for 10 days, to Charlotte, Hilton Head, Jacksonville, Cocoa Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa and Nashville. They are playing like 11 different disc golf courses, 3 that are in the top 10 in the United States. They are staying on the beach in Lauderdale over New Years. It's quite a fantastic trip, and one they planned themselves. They had mom and I look over the plans, talked about expenses and logistics, how to pack and get the best use of the car, which hotels to stay in and on and on. So they are taking this huge step while they are young, they've saved for it, and they are ready. It'll be a nice precursor to the trip to Vegas in February for them.

Man, that's a lot to update, but it feels like all of it is pretty big news.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote