View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 07:16 AM   #2533
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
On that cowboys play is it normal for the ref to stay about 30 yards behind the play?

If you are talking about the umpire and not the referee, this is something I am wondering myself. I wonder if our resident official could clarify.

The umpire is not in the camera shot when the QB draw play starts. After he comes running in and spots the ball, he then sets up behind the defense as time runs out. IIRC, the umpire sets up behind the offense in hurry up situations which would explain why he would be so far behind the play on the QB draw. I am not sure why the umpire took a different position at the end of the game than he did on the QB draw. If I were reaching for excuses for the Cowboys, I would say they did not expect the umpire to be coming from the position behind the offense to spot the ball.

Of course none of this is to excuse the Cowboys' incompetence. Just a curiosity in the game operations.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote