View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 11:33 AM   #7423
Swaggs
Coordinator

I actually liked the Eternals better than I expected (I'd probably give it like a solid 6/10), but I get why people didn't love it. They tried to introduce way too many characters at once and, in my opinion, did a pretty bad job of establishing a big, bad villain (he and his motives were there, but not enough work done to make anyone care about him). I think they could have pulled it off with six or seven characters, but ten was way too many.

I think there were enough good performances to make it worth seeing. I thought the Kingo storyline was interesting enough (and I liked how he sort of hedged and didn't come back to help) and thought Phastos and the Thena/Gilgamesh characters were interesting. And having someone openly gay, a deaf person, and the equivalent to a mental illness (with Thena) were at least notable. They sort of focused on Sersei, Ikaris, and Sprite - and those three would be among the ones I would consider cutting (although you kind of need Ikaris, I guess).

I think the writers fell in love with the source material and didn't spend enough time thinking like a viewer, so they didn't realize how confusing ten new heroes with all new powers and a new villain would be and how little time they would have to flesh them all out.

EDIT: I did like the mid- and post-credits scenes. Apparently the voice speaking to Dane at the end was:
Spoiler

Last edited by Swaggs : 01-17-2022 at 11:35 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote