View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #910
Swaggs
Coordinator

Parents giving their support to children when they come out is such a huge resiliency factor, it sounds like you handled everything perfectly well. If you and your wife are accepting, he is going to be more accepting of it himself. I think it is normal for children to model themselves and their lives on those of their parents (either in a way that mirrors their parents or in a way that rebels against them).

My guess is that he was reluctant to tell you because part of his own process of coming to terms with this may be that his life is not going to look exactly like yours and he may feel that you will be disappointed. I think you telling him that you want him to be with someone that is "worthy" of being with him is a real compliment and worth reinforcing with all of your children. You can still have expectations for what you want for your children, but letting him know that things like similar values, ethics, kindness, mutual respect, goals, etc. are the most important things (rather than gender or orientation) is good parenting.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote