View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 01:52 AM   #117
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I guess the question is why is Russia even allowed to compete at the Olympics after about a decade of blatant cheating?
Technically "Russia" is not participating, you won't see Russian flags anywhere. A collective of people from Russia in good standing (not suspected of doping abuse) with their respective international sports organizations are (the abbreviation "ROC" is used during these games and in several olympic sports).

I mean, your statement would imply (everybody from) the USA should be banned just because of the decades long substance abuse in athletics, baseball and cycling (to name the most obvious olympic sports) by some individuals or groups of people they were involved with. I've never seen or read any suggestions like that. And with fair reasoning, is it Michael Phelps', Simona Biles' and LeBron James' fault they was born and raised in the land of Marion Jones, Lance Armstrong and Barry Bonds?

But it's fair to "tomato or tomato" this, because several sports associations in Russia have been suspected of organized doping programs and those are still the ones sending their members to these games. Most of us do what you just did there: call "the people from Russia" "Russia".

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 02-15-2022 at 01:53 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote