View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 10:24 AM   #140
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But it was a disaster for the officials. So many completely missed calls. Not judgment calls, just obvious, objective penalties missed. I'm not sure how to fix it, but the NFL clearly has a problem with poor officiating, not just in this game, but in multiple playoff games, too.

Yes, it was a normal officiated NFL game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I don't know if full time officials will change anything. But it does seem like it might be time to try it. Also, maybe add another person to the crew? More eyes means more of a chance to see things.

It is inexcusable, with the money the NFL generates, that the league does not have fulltime officials. It will help but it will not fix all of the things that happen. I'm not even sure people would want a game that was officiated to a degree where everything was being called?

I think all acknowledge there is holding on every play. What is the result if all of those are called? Less holding? Maybe. Less offense and more injuries (QBs look out)? Probably.

I think, like basketball, there is only so much you can do. Players in the league will know and understand what they can "normally" do and what they can't. They go into games knowing that those "normal" standards will have to adjust to how the game is being called that day. Where I think fulltime officials would help would be to make it a more consistent "normal" and that is probably as good as it will ever get.

I think the Bengals players and coaches accept that they lost because they understand how it all works. You play out the game as it is dealt to you. Sometimes you get a break sometimes you don't. In most games you will have "look at this" that can be countered by the other side with "but what about that". There will be outliers that may be terrible but the players and coaches will understand that they still had 60+ plays to make those incidents not be consequential.

Go back to that Rams Saints game and the PI not called. It was the game!! according to many. They all forget the facemask on Goff that would have given the Rams a 1st and G on the 1(?) or inside the 5, that wasn't called minutes before. Some justify that with "well the Rams had time to make up for that" lol.
So did the Saints. One of my first thoughts was if the Rams lose due to the facemask\offensive PI not being called people will be out shouting "serves them right, karma is a bitch". Again the Goff facemask never occurred.

If the holding had not been called and the Rams don't score on 4th down from the 8 their coaches and players would be saying "we lost". Unless they held Cin to a punt, got another shot, and won. Back to play through\overcome If they don't do that and do end up losing well...

Rams fans, like Bengals fans now, would be saying "what about...." .

Another normally officiated game
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote