View Single Post
Old 02-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #339
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

For those of you who are already empty-nesters, did you feel compelled to find something new to do with your time? Hobbies, etc.? We're still 6 months from our youngest heading off to college, but already I'm expecting plenty of down time compared to what we're used to and thinking about how to fill that space.

I've been running 100+ miles a month and ran a half-marathon in November, so I definitely expect to keep that going, maybe make races a more regular activity. In addition, I want to pick up playing piano again. I played when I was a kid but basically quit a couple years into college since I didn't have access to a piano anymore. My parents shipped our old piano to us several years ago but I just haven't spent more than a few minutes messing around with it. The other thing I've thought about doing is getting back into tennis. I played in an adult league one summer probably 12-15 years ago but gave it up (along with an adult soccer league I did for several years) once the girls got heavily into sports. Traveling with Caitlin for softball was basically an 8-10 months-a-year deal for about 14 years, including college.

The last thing I want to do is get into the habit of sitting on the couch watching Wheel of Fortune every night and not being as active (either physically or mentally) as I should be in my early 50s and going forward.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote