View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 04:17 PM   #46
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
I normally stray far from these political statements and conversations here but this is a little to over the top for me.

I suspect Republican politicians calling for max sanctions on Russia are those who don't want to get on the wrong end of a PR war. If it also drives up petroleum prices, fine, take a look at their donors.

Quote:
Seems to me most conservative voices are asking why the administration isn't quickly acting to reduce gas prices (reversing course on Keystone, allow more drilling domestically, etc). I would gain a ton of respect for the administration if they would do these things.

What makes you think any of these things would quickly reduce gas prices? Keystone wouldn't have pumped until 2030. Thousands of drilling licenses lie unused. Etc....

Quote:
It seems that producing more energy/oil domestically ASAP would benefit us at home and militarily with very little immediate cost. I think we can table the environmental arguments over such a policy for a few years while we maximize our ability to respond to a world wide conflict that would likely pit us against China, North Korea, Russia, and Iran at minimum.

As of 2020, the United States used about 20 million barrels of oil a day (Mb/d). It also produced about 16 Mb/d. Some of that gets exported. Source: • US: oil consumption 2020 | Statista.

As of 2020, U.S. imports of petroleum amount to about 7.8 Mb/d, half of which is from Canada, and 7% of which is from Russia. Source: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Given these numbers and the number of drilling leases already granted lying unused, the U.S. is in perfectly good shape when it comes to petroleum dependency. And that's without even considering usage caps that could be instituted in the event of a wartime event.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote