View Single Post
Old 03-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #220
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I kindof agree with both of you but I think it's not always that simple, either.

I was talking to a relative of mine in Italy about the war on Friday:

What do you tell a country like that?

Along with energy, food and water are major security issues, as well. Again, oversimplifying, but you only have so much land and you can use some of to farm or get water, some for energy generation, and some for industry to keep you politically relevant/powerful. The US can mostly get all of them and we can even we can play our hand where things like rare earth metals, good placement for military bases, high tech infrastructure, etc. can somewhat be treated like "security concerns". But most places don't have that luxury.

SI

You tell Italy the same thing Italy tells San Marino. You are part of a Democratic union. Just like the concept of the United States, or the European Union. Democracy makes this work. When you serve at the will of your people, you have incentive to come together.

In the last couple of days, Olaf Sholz announced the construction of terminals at a couple of ports to handle LNG, presumably from the US. Hopefully, we are ramping up production so that we can play that role. Same with Canada.

I think it's easy to get distracted by Trumpisms like "America First" and mistake that for a show of strength or a declaration of hostility. The world is a very complex place, and politicians exist to try and fuck that up.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote