View Single Post
Old 03-21-2022, 06:02 AM   #660
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I see respect paid to those 2,000 who died in pearl harbour from my American friends. Yet it seems nukes being dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki causing deaths, suffering and destruction to hundreds of thousands women and children is swept under the carpet. Dismissed as being down to "end the war" on an already beaten Japanese force. Putin could say he is trying to end the war right now, by bombing civilians in a more measure manor. We accuse Putin of war crimes?

Re: War Crimes, it does get to the point of intent, degree, legality etc. AND who won the war. Lots of fair debate about this Debate over the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - Wikipedia. But your point is taken, if the US lost the war to Japan, it would have been a "war crime".

I think Hiroshima was a no-brainer. I am troubled about Nagasaki which occurred 3 days later. We could have let Hiroshima sink in for a little while longer IMO but generally okay with it considering the outcome.

IMO, does nuking the Hiroshima to explicitly to stop a war AND to stop the other country's war crimes for the greater good (talk to the civilians of China, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore etc.). Yes.

Quote:
It didn't seem to bother us a whole lot when close to a million were slaughtered slowly but surely in Rwanda by forces we could of stopped easily. We did nothing.

This happened after Mogadishu fiasco (93) vs Rawanda genocide (94). So no doubt that factored into the decision. Good news is we did intervene in Bosnia (95) to end that. So honestly, think this is a cheap shot at the US.

I think we've found out that wars can't be "stopped easily".

Quote:
All that said of course what is happening in Ukraine is evil and wrong. But black and white? Probably not.

There is definitely grey for sure but the difference is Russia had other options than invading, the US didn't have an alternative in Japan after Pearl Harbor.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-21-2022 at 06:02 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote