View Single Post
Old 04-02-2022, 02:43 PM   #425
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think it's fair to compare Peru and Italy because the qualifying in each region is so different. CONMEBOL throws everyone in a group where the best have to play the best. UEFA is a battle of who can beat bad teams by the most (or avoid a catastrophic loss).

I kind of hate the UEFA qualifying system because of this. There are too many really bad nations appearing in what is essentially the final round of qualifying. Why does a result against the Faroe Islands or San Marino play a role in who qualifies?

Looking at how CONCACAF does it seems better. They whittle out the bad teams before getting to the final round. For instance, I think this would be a better system.

- Start with 55 teams. Bottom 14 ranked in the region (basically their Pot 5 and 6) play a home-and-home to advance to the next round.

- The remaining 48 teams play a home-and-home to advance to the group stage. Also seeded based on rankings. So France would play a nation like Cyprus in this.

- The final 24 teams are broken into 4 groups of 6. Top 3 in each group advance. 4-team playoff between the 4th place teams for the final spot in the World Cup.

That way you have 10 matches against teams that are for the most part, competitive.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote