View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 09:13 PM   #738
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I get this from the Eagles' p.o.v. totally, not from the Saints'. Do this maybe when the pick is on the clock and you know you get the exact guy you really want... maybe I get it then. Not now, though. This is a bad draft.

I agree that I do not like this for the Saints. When you have a new coach and Jameis Winston as your QB, you cannot be dealing future first rounders like its the Brees/Payton years. That could be a top-five pick next year.

That said, here's my best read on the situation:

The Eagles did not want to go into the draft with three first rounders. So I suspect that they told teams that were interested that the deal had to happen now and not on draft night.

So why the Saints? After years of laughing at the salary cap while they chased another ring, the Saints have gone on record saying that they are going to start being more fiscally responsible. So I suspect that they set prices going into free agency and, as a result, they have lost some guys and have not been buyers themselves.

So they then looked at their offseason blueprint and realized (correctly) that they still have multiple major holes on the team. And, having not filled those holes in FA, you either need to trade for players or high picks. And, being up against the cap, rookies are cheaper than trading for vets.

As noted above, I disagree. If you are trading for rookies b/c you have holes to fill, then you are really taking a chance by giving up those future firsts.

At least the draft will be more fun to watch for me :-)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote