View Single Post
Old 04-20-2022, 08:19 PM   #340
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Joshua Mears, OF, San Diego Padres (High-A Fort Wayne): 3-4, 3 R, 2 2B, HR, 2 RBI, BB.
Blessed with double-plus raw power, Mears has potential to be a future middle-of-the-order masher. His upside is currently being held back by an inability to make consistent contact and a strikeout rate that has flirted with 40% since being drafted. The upside is huge but there’s still a lot of work remaining to be done.

This kid grew up around here and my son played his teams quite a few times over the high school and summer seasons. I've never seen anyone not in the majors hit the ball as hard as he does.

When he was around 14 he was a great athlete playing center and my son's summer coach had watched him play and told me "I think I saw the next Ken Griffey Jr.". Apparently he had made a ridiculous play in center, threw someone out at home, and hit a homer in the span of about 2 innings. By the time he was a senior in HS though he had gotten pretty big and was RF only and at 6'3" 230 it seems he's only gotten bigger.

On a bit of a side note, he's 2 years older than my son and his 18u team was the top ranked travel team in the state and absolutely loaded (2 kids that went top 3 rounds) and numerous D-1 commits. My son's team was 16 playing 18u that year and beat them on a walk off single in their first game that summer.

Last edited by Atocep : 04-20-2022 at 08:19 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote