View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 11:13 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
....however as much as I would like to deny Lathum's characterization here, she will absolutely face daily challenges from Portland's non-resident class, and/or the residents of Portland's neighboring cities. Current day downtown Portland is not far removed from 70s NYC, for better or worse. Literally all drugs have been decriminalized, as has camping on the streets. The violently mentally ill & drug addicted, wander downtown Portland like zombies, screaming vague obscenities at nobody, pants around their ankles, and absolutely nothing is being done to address things. I have about a half-dozen micro incidents every single day.

Let me know if you have any other particular questions.

Threadjack, but could be relevant, I'm going to be at the Pioneer federal courthouse right across from Pioneer Park next week for an oral argument and then will have about 6-8 hours to kill afterwards - I thought I would wander around to some breweries, get a big burger somewhere, to decompress. Do you think that's a decent "home base" to do that from, or should I maybe hang out somewhere else in Portland before going back to get my stuff at the hotel? I am comfortable in gritty cities, lived in Eugene, but, I did get a little tired of people yelling at me around Berkeley when I was there a few months ago. (Edit: One guy started following me around when I ignored him - I've lived in cities with substantial homeless populations but it felt different there - though some of that maybe was where I was staying). I've spent a little time in Portland years ago but don't know much about what downtown is like now.

Last edited by molson : 05-05-2022 at 01:40 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote