View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 01:41 AM   #2417
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Lots of mass shooters don’t seem to have criminal records or not major ones.

I'm not sure your definition of "not major ones" but how I define criminal elements is anyone convicted of a crime that was above an infraction (e.g. misdemeanor, felony convictions). I acknowledge there are misdemeanors that are not that "major", but there are some misdemeanors that I consider serious especially if there were multiple incidents (simple assault, domestic violence). So unsure if that is precise enough but that's my default definition.

In the context of my discussion which you reference, note it is not just criminal elements but also mentally unstable. Get rid of guns or access to guns in those 2 groups first before removing all/most guns from law abiding citizens.

So to answer your question, for mass shootings demographics

Public Mass Shootings: Database Amasses Details of a Half Century of U.S. Mass Shootings with Firearms, Generating Psychosocial Histories | National Institute of Justice
Quote:
Most individuals who perpetrated mass shootings had a prior criminal record (64.5%) and a history of violence (62.8%), including domestic violence (27.9%). And 28.5% had a military background. Most died on the scene of the public mass shooting, with 38.4% dying by their own hand and 20.3% killed by law enforcement officers.

When talking about homicides overall (not just mass shootings), I was not able to find relatively recent research but here's an older one.

Criminal Records of Homicide Offenders | Medical Education and Training | JAMA | JAMA Network
Quote:
For 1990-2000, 42.6% of 884 cases had at least 1 felony conviction compared with 3.9% of nearly 7.9 million controls, for a population-attributable risk of 40.3% (95% CI, 37.0%-43.8%); among cases, 71.6% had experienced any arrest from 1990-2000 compared with 18.2% of controls, for a population-attributable risk of 65.3% (95% CI, 61.6%-68.8%). For 1996-2000, the population-attributable risk among individuals with a felony conviction or any arrest was 31.0% (95% CI, 27.9%-34.2%) and 58.5% (95% CI, 54.9%-62.1%), respectively.

If you have more recent research, please share them.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote