View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 05:56 PM   #2766
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
What happens when football moves outside? The gap between super-league and everyone else grows. But it's still expensive, outside what would be the super-league, to finance football.

Nothing really changes, then. Athletics at universities are still funded by the government and by mandatory student fees. And while many universities are tempted to drop football or never had a football team, alumni hate losing those teams.

Except now you're doing it in a landscape where the revenue potential of football is dramatically reduced. How do suddenly (at best) I-AA football programs (in terms of interest, eyeballs, donations, et all) fit with traditional D1 everything else?

I think what happens in this scenario is that the quality of everything drops a notch below what D1 non-revenue sports have been accustomed to, most noticeably in basketball.

And, sooner than later, we see basketball demanding to breaking away the same way football has, just with a bit larger pool for their "superleague"