View Single Post
Old 07-14-2022, 10:18 PM   #55
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Okay, assume you do want to have a discussion.

The article with the statute says this. If there is more that you think is relevant, please post.

As with the "Don't Say Gay" bill, the above is neutral and not pointed explicitly towards LGBTQ or heterosexuals. Me, as a parent, would want to know everything the school personnel knows about my child's "health, well-being, and education" and would definitely appreciate school personnel to "try and facilitate discussions of the issue with the parent".

What is wrong with this?

I'm assuming you'll provide some scenarios about LGBTQ kids not wanting to share their their challenges with school personnel if they know the school will need to inform the parents about this?

My scenario is if my child was feeling depressed, bullied, suicidal, approached school nurse about being pregnant etc. I would want the school to inform the parents.

For clarity, this policy affects students in ALL grades not just K-3 graders. I think I made reference to this being the overall intention in this or the other thread.

This is the piece that i found interesting.

Quote:
There is an exception if school employees think notifying parents will result in "abuse … abandonment or neglect" of the student.

So who gets to make the determination if the result will be abuse, abandonment or neglect? How are they are going to do that one? Is that one person liable if they make the wrong call or will they be liable along with the school district, county, state etc.?

If a student knew that their parents cared more and were more invested for the student's well being than school personnel, they probably would have gone to the parents first with their issues instead of the school personnel. The students may not be right 100% of the time but I would go with the 80-20 rule. 80% of the time the students will have a better understanding of whether or not they will be in danger of abuse, abandonment or neglect if their parents are notified by the school than school personnel. The student is probably better positioned to determine this danger than the school personnel.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote