View Single Post
Old 07-16-2022, 08:22 AM   #68
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm going to try condense this down to what I believe are the 3 points you are making. Please correct as needed
1) The law re: parental notification (not specific to 3rd graders) is not needed because parents are notified already anyway (except for LGBTQ situations)
2) The law is geared toward discrimination against LGBTQ situations because of #1
3) Even if it was needed, how would teachers know what to report or not? (Other than for the most obvious ones like self-harm, harm to others)
For #1, we are going to agree to disagree. I believe I have provided some examples of where a school does not have to report, care to report, nor consistently report about below quote. And the examples you and I discussed are not all inclusive.

Quote:
... monitoring related to the student's mental, emotional, or physical health or well-being

For #2, I concede the original intentions of those that created this bill was geared towards LGBTQ. No doubt. The actual need for the substance of the bill (parental notification) is where we disagree.

So I (believe) understand your concern about how it will discriminate. My response is as the bill is written, it is neutral and the law will/should protect gay, straight etc. as we go through a period of inevitable lawsuits to clarify the law.

For #3, this is the one I struggle with most. For me, there are clear cut (1) don't need to report and (2) do need to report. But there is a large grey area for (3) judgement call if need to report.
Some context first. In my line of work, I sometimes have to solve for or respond to something but I don't have all the answers. The approach I take is to describe the problem, and draft my proposed solution with all the applicable assumptions. It's almost always a team group think effort. I then let my manager and/or client read it and react to it, and hopefully we come with a solution we all agree to.

The key here is not to say this is absolutely right, the key is to say we (e.g. me, manager, client) agree this is what we think is right, get buy-in (e.g. there is an understanding if it's not right, there won't be pointing fingers, but we'll address whatever comes up together).
So for (3), if I was the top person, I would convene workgroup session(s) over 1 month (?) with the necessary people (attorneys, key admin, teacher representatives, LGBTQ representatives, child psychologist etc.), sit down and write up some guidelines, think up of X use cases/scenarios and the appropriate processes/responses.

I'd publish the guidelines to subset of interested public, and get all their comments & feedback. I'll get the team back together and make sure we incorporate their feedback or have explanations as to why we did not. Then publish the guidelines to the schools, teachers & parents (and maybe rinse and repeat a couple more times with a different group(s)).

(One more thing. As I'm a big proponent of change management/enablement (e.g. when I want to get the message out and increase "acceptance" of the new stuff), I'd implement a change campaign to go along with these new guidelines & processes)

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-16-2022 at 09:10 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote