View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 09:16 AM   #9268
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The crowd I saw last night, honestly, seemed ... almost incapable of knowing quality from not quality.

I've seen "smarter" (to the business) crowds at indy houseshows in bumfuck nowhere. I'm talking "wrestling is real but the moonshot was fake" fans. The subtle distinction I might give last night's crowd is that some of them do kinda sorta know there's a certain amount of fakery/illusion, they simply give zero fucks.

Part of that is the concentration of single-digit aged kids. But part of it isn't.

One of the many realizations I had last night was that Vince was probably right to ignore the IWC entirely when it came to putting butts in seats, at least for PPV-level shows.

Those people were there to pop for intro music, chant a few off-color things, mark for the personalities they like, lose track of which competitor they were cheering/booing. And to buy merch. Oh dear GOD at the amount of merch.
The number of grown adults carrying replica belts alone was staggering.

And I ain't even hatin'. They had fun.
But the stuff that bothers some of us? They couldn't possibly care less.

Everything you said there is a great summary of the WWE fan. I think when you put out a product that appeals to the lowest common denominator, eventually that becomes your demographic.

No one over the age of 14 should ever bring a replica title to a wrestling show.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote