View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 02:51 PM   #216
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Based on my personal experience as a coach and parent of a kid that did travel ball it's the high school coaches and regular select level and local travel teams that are the problems. Once you hit the higher levels of travel play I saw much stricter pitch counts and awareness of abuse.

Local tournaments and leagues can be awful on arms though and high school coaches give zero fucks. That kid the high school coach abused is probably going to blow his arm out in college and you can just blame the college for not knowing what they're doing.

That's my experience. The higher level travel teams I was on had strict rules on pitch/inning counts even back in the day. The teams were meant to get kids noticed by colleges or even the pros, so building a reputation for blowing out elbows hurts efforts to recruit good talent.

High school was a different story. They absolutely did not care. I remember starting a game and throwing like 5 innings, then finishing the last 2 innings of the doubleheader. Then the next day I came on in like the 2nd inning when our starter sprained his ankle. Probably threw over 200 pitches in 3 games over the course of 30 hours.

Can never be sure, but looking back I figure that's what caused arm troubles in college.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote