View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 10:10 AM   #91
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I think Flasch is asking (as are we all), at what point would you be willing to admit that the GOP's public schooling-related legislation/actions (DeSantis first in this thread, twice, now also Noem) is actually an assault on public schooling?
I wouldn't use the description "assault" but to the rest of your statement, see below.

Quote:
Like, specifically, is there a line where if they cross it, you'll suddenly agree that none of their actions (that you spent multiple pages defending) were actually done in good faith?

The point of contention between you and everyone who is criticizing you (and honestly, not just on this topic) is that you do not see the bad faith behind these efforts (political considerations, as you have noted) aside.

Er, see below my quotes from the first half of first page, there's more but you get the idea. I've acknowledged "none of their actions were actually done in good faith" a long time ago. I do see the "bad faith behind these efforts". See below.
Quote:
I do believe political leaders who support it are doing it primarily for their own political gains,
Quote:
I do believe it is a reaction of (real or not) wokeness that DeSantis wants to leverage (for political gain).
Quote:
I do know the politicians that wrote the bill was really thinking about LGBTQ, wokeness etc.
Quote:
I've said I believe the political intent was primarily against LGBTQ and therefore bad.
If this is the "mea culpa" you expect, then hopefully you see my confusion as I've not argued against your above statements.

Quote:
You are tying yourself into knots attempting to explain how this is all just "neutral" (your word, used several times) governance, which is only true when shorn of context. With context, clearly, it absolutely is not. And that is why you're getting hammered by the board with it.
If you do not believe it is neutral in how the bill says the restrictions should be applied to straight/LGBTQ, then provide quotes from the bill and let's discuss.

If you do not believe it is neutral in how it will be applied, I absolutely do not dispute there will be those situations.
Quote:
If FL really wants to keep this law, they better make sure it's applied as written & consistent (and amend as needed). Otherwise, there will be a ton of lawsuits challenging different standards on gay vs straight (as there should be).

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-15-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote