View Single Post
Old 10-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #37
Edward64
Head Coach

The article doesn't get into specifics like $ impact and I wouldn't think the EU (esp. France) would be that impacted by the US push to support & subsidize local green auto industry.

(My guess is he's still butt hurt with the Australians backing out of buying French subs).

But still an angle to the pros/cons that I didn't think of, how it adversely impacts allies by pushing to go more green domestically.

France plays bad cop as transatlantic trade tensions ramp up – POLITICO
Quote:
It had seemed like the bad blood between Brussels and Washington was easing on Biden's watch. Facing a common foe in China, the EU and the U.S. last year struck a truce on the tariffs that former President Donald Trump slapped on European steel and aluminium. Over this year, Russia's war against Ukraine has meant that America and Europe needed to present a united front, at least politically.

Cracks are now starting to re-emerge, however. The EU is furious that the U.S. is pouring subsidies into the homegrown electric car industry. Accusing Washington of protectionism, Europe is now threatening to draw up its own defenses.

Unsurprisingly, French President Emmanuel Macron is leading the charge. “The Americans are buying American and pursuing a very aggressive strategy of state aid. The Chinese are closing their market. We cannot be the only area, the most virtuous in terms of climate, which considers that there is no European preference,” Macron told French daily Les Echos.

Brussels to support consumers and companies that buy electric cars produced in the EU, instead of ones from outside the bloc.

I'm thinking this is just something we're going to need to disagree with our friends. The US should go full steam ahead in supporting domestic alternate fuel vehicles..

Quote:
Macron’s comments are a reflection of EU consternation over Washington’s Inflation Reduction Act, which incentivizes U.S. consumers to “Buy American” when purchasing a greener car. The EU argues that requiring that car needs to be assembled in North America and contain a battery with a certain percentage of local content discriminate against the EU and other trade partners.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote