View Single Post
Old 10-25-2022, 07:51 AM   #1215
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I am a supporter of Ukraine but I don't think below (and the trend towards more accountability) is unreasonable. I do still think the (admittedly, wide range of) $17B - $63B is still a pretty good deal considering how frakked Russia is.

Liberal Democrats call on Biden to shift Ukraine strategy | CNN Politics

Don't worry, McCarthy and the GOP have already telegraphed their plans, as above. They're not going to stop helping Ukraine. And there won't be any increased accountability - they've never done it before so why should we expect it start now. Those are just laughably transparent talking points to get the gullible or willfully ignorant to carry water for them

They're just going to try and make the Dems sign off on cuts to Social Security and Medicare in exchange for helping Ukraine. "Oh, you want to help Ukraine and go back against the weakening of NATO that our Orange Godchild was doing to line his own pockets? Then you'd better kick granny and gramps off of Social Security and take a political hit for it, even though these things aren't totally related. Otherwise, we're going to let the US default on its debt, drive the economy off a cliff, and blame it all on Sleepy Joe in time for him to get crushed in the 2024 election."

There's no universe where they actually care about the foreign aid going to Ukraine, except for the increasing number of them like Rob Johnson and Kevin McCarthy bought by Russian money.

Considering the completely contrasting results between the much larger Russian forces vs the smaller Ukranian ones, I think it's pretty safe to assume that the gross differences in supply line (and intelligence) effectiveness are significantly responsible. If you suddenly change that balance, I'm sure there will be a bunch of Pikachu shocked face and finger pointing six months down the road when Ukraine starts getting ground under again when it's really clear how that happened. Unsurprisingly, when we stop handing them weapons that are vastly superior to what they are fighting against, the manpower advantage suddenly matters a lot more.

Then again, that's why the Russian misinformation machine is going into overdrive trying to keep their red wave intact. Cheaper to buy US politicians and our electorate than actually buy bombs, especially when half the world won't take your currency right now because of said war.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-25-2022 at 08:04 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote