View Single Post
Old 10-27-2022, 08:58 AM   #67
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Regarding quantum computing, I was specific, practical for objects larger than pretty much nothing. Which is exactly what they're proposing. Not that anyone could step inside one of those proposed computers and travel to another galaxy.

I may have misunderstood the highlighted then. Quantum physics/mechanics --> led to Quantum computing/computers which "is (an) object larger than pretty much nothing". Can you expound on what your bolded section meant?

EDIT: Re-reading your note, it may be that you are asking the question how can Quantum physics/mechanics lead to interstellar travel/communication "for objects larger than pretty much nothing". No one knows. But per my example, there are real life, practical applications, (not just theory fluff) as a result of quantum physics/mechanics. Doesn't the idea of entanglement being (possibly) faster than speed of light provide enticing possibilities? It'll take time to prove things out. Heck, entanglement stuff came out in 1930's or so, and we still don't understand it.

Quote:
Certainly, we can't even conceive of what might be invented 100 years from now. The question is whether there are physical limitations on the particles that make up the universe. On the particles that make up the human body. Not what we can do within those limitations.

There may well be physical limitations on particles that make up the universe. I don't concede that we've found all those particles and we definitely don't understand how/what on some of the particles we have already found. Therefore, that leaves plenty of "room" for more to be discovered (e.g. interstellar communications, travel etc.).

Not a big proponent of multiverse but I read a blurb that laws of physics may also differ between multiverses. That kinda blows my mind.

My main point is there is so much "more" to be discovered. I am unwilling to concede that we cannot do faster-than-speed travel or communication.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-27-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote