View Single Post
Old 10-30-2022, 11:18 AM   #6455
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
And Musk decided to end all that--pretty much out of boredom from what I can tell.

I've wondered about this part. I always thought he'd never actually buy it.

My main theory is that he was just shooting off his mouth online, as he does, and then realized "oh, holy crap- there are like legal ramifications to this? I'm rich - they can't possibly hold me to what I said when I was high." Then, when he met with his lawyers, they were like "This isn't like the time you drunk posted about taking Tesla public and you could tie it up in court or wiggle out of it - they can legit fine billions and send you to jail". And he thought they were bluffing right up until they got a few days away from the case.

At that point, he sat down with his lawyers and looked at his options. He picked the one where he could finance this with as little of his own money except stuff he could write off for tax purposes to offset some of his other brain dead moves. For the rest, he took a bunch of money from bad actors, probably from other nation states who saw him as a useful idiot and were more than happy to have him break another social media outlet and make it easier for them to spread disinformation.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote