View Single Post
Old 11-08-2022, 08:16 AM   #28
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The reality is, people are desensitized to the extreme/violent rhetoric (they've been living it on social media, so its extension to politics is, sadly, nothing shocking) and apparently don't believe anything will really happen to our country despite evidence something serious is brewing. So, those who aren't Trump/GOP fanboys are treating this like a normal election and voting with their pocketbooks. Issues like abortion don't move the needle because most people don't think they'll ever be affected by it, or are ambivalent, or actually agree even if it's not a top issue for them.

It's infuriating to see seemingly normal people interviewed on the news and discussing candidates either on their merits or just laundry listing "fate of democracy" as one of the issues along with "grocery bill." I get it, I'm fortunately in a situation where I can absorb the extra costs, but I get the feeling these people would flip if they really thought their lives would change for the worse with an authoritarian in charge. But it seems like the prevailing thought is, "This is America, we may have our issues but we're not like other countries and that kind of stuff doesn't happen here." I've even talked to someone who used J6 as proof that we will never face a situation in which the worst-case scenario comes true.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote