View Single Post
Old 11-10-2022, 10:42 AM   #324
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think DeSantis is better than Trump. But on your scale, I'd make him a high 5. 6 at absolute most.

Put it this way: I don't like being a Biden voter (and a Gov. Whitmer voter in the midterms). I disagree with them on policy as much as I agree with them. Some of the disagreements are very large and substantial. The most important area I agree with them on (climate change) they are doing IMO very little about - though partly that's the fault of the opposition.

Any party that is willing to three things will get my enthusiastic and full-voiced support:

- Play it straight when it comes to democracy, voting rights, gerrymandering, etc.
- Treat the constitution as binding, not a suggestion to be ignored when it's convenient
- Take seriously our responsibilities towards the environment and not screwing over future generations because we don't want to make hard decisions now.

We have no party willing to do even two of those things; at most there is tepid lip service to one of them. Leading is hard and I certainly couldn't do it myself; I'm not putting myself on a pedestal above them. But DeSantis isn't any more interested in doing any of these three than Trump is. Mostly IMO, that's because the voting base doesn't want him to be. There are minorities of the left who want the first and third one, but not enough to make it happen.

I think for the most part our disagreement is about Trump's 'demeanor'. The tweets, the personal attacks, etc. are very bad. They are more important than 'minor' political issues, but not nearly as important IMO as the huge, foundational ones. And on those foundational issues, I don't think there's a difference between the two. DeSantis is just Trump, but less incompetent on those. .02

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-10-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote