View Single Post
Old 11-27-2022, 02:11 PM   #1466
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My daughter's BF is crushed. He's a Cincy alum, they go to every home game, and when I texted them this morning about the report, he said he wasn't worried because he didn't think he'd leave for any job but Ohio State.

Here's the thing though - even if Ryan Day continues to underachieve, he's still probably got 2-3 years. They're still winning 10 games right now. So Fickell sticks with Cincy as they move to the Big 12 and suddenly Cincy is a 5-7 win team instead of at or near the top of the AAC. Is that a guy Ohio State can hire? What if Cincy falls off to 4-6 wins? He's probably taking the money because of the timing, not because this is the job he was waiting for.

I agree with that, for sure. I’m not saying it will be Cincy, but all four of the new schools are going to be in for a shock early on and I think at least one or two are bound to struggle despite being a really good collection of programs and coaches (Malzahn, Fickell, and Holgorson have all been P5 coaches and all four have had multiple 10-win seasons). When TCU and WVU came to the Big 12, they were both coming off unprecedented levels of success (both averaged 10+ wins and BCS bowls and wins), but it took both three years to finish above .500 in conference.

Last edited by Swaggs : 11-27-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote