View Single Post
Old 12-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #120
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't care if it was a trillion trillion dollars, it's not just about Tesla. If you have a better solution for speeding up EV adoption by the public, including the necessary infrastructure to make it viable and not just the cars themselves, that doesn't involve subsidizing the companies who make the vehicles, let's hear it.

I'm not being sarcastic. There might be one. But absent such a solution, my biggest problem with it is that we aren't spending nearly enough on this kind of thing and should be doing a lot more - here, on nuclear power, on development of alternative fuels and products for replacing oil in other sectors. Not just EVs, but that's an important element.

Make more stringent emissions standards that force automakers into converting to EV. Or simply ban combustion engines by a certain date.

If you can't do any of that, offer low-interest loans to the companies if you feel it necessary. Or the government gets a stake in the company for providing them with the handouts. Or just make the cars ourselves if it's that vital to national security.

The current setup is just welfare for billionaires and propping up unprofitable industries.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote