View Single Post
Old 12-28-2022, 04:18 PM   #31
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Thursday morning I'm headed down to Portland with my son to watch games in the Phil Knight Invitational and the Phil Knight Legacy tournaments Thursday through Sunday.

Games we know we get to see so far:

WVU vs Purdue, Gonzaga vs Portland State, Iowa State vs Villanova, and UNC vs Portland.

Those are just the games we'll see on Thursday. Later on we might get to catch Duke, Florida, Michigan State and others depending on how how the brackets go.

Just wanted to say if you ever get the chance to go to this tourney it's 100% worth it.

We stayed in an Air BnB across the river in Vancouver which was about a 15 minute drive to the Rose Quarter each day. The two tourneys split most of the games between the Moda Center (formerly the Rose Garden) and the Veterans Memorial Coliseum, which is next door and maybe a 50 yard walk once you exit Moda. So we were able to easily go back and forth for different games.

We watched WVU, Gonzaga, Duke, UNC, Purdue, Villanova, Xavier, Iowa State, and the Iowa women all play that weekend.

The Coliseum is dated and feels like a beefed up old high school gymnasium but we did have 2nd row seats directly behind the WVU bench.

Moda is one of the oldest NBA arenas but is still a fantastic place to watch basketball.

10/10 experience and my son asked me as we were walking out of the last game if we can come back next year even if WVU isn't playing in it.

Special thanks to my wife, who not only got me the tickets as a birthday gift despite having zero interest in basketball and not wanting to go, but also gave up a family Thanksgiving so that we could do this.

Last edited by Atocep : 12-28-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote