View Single Post
Old 01-01-2023, 08:11 AM   #169
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
you have so many rules for discussion, and you tend to ignore them yourself when convenient (that's "factually not what's happening", "IMO", etc). Rules for me, but not for thee.

Huh? I have bent over backwards to be overly fair in this discussion. I don't know what you're talking about here. The 'factually not what's happening' a few posts up was just shorthand for not repeating yet again what I've already said in longer form, and I've been consistently backing up what I've said with facts.

Quote:
Known reserves are actually larger now than they were then. So what's the emergency?

A simplistic and misleading comparison. Known reserves available at a cheap price are not larger, we have more expensive ways of acquiring oil now which has increased the reserves number. One could go into more detail here on the different types and sources but that's a longer conversation and we haven't been able to make progress on more straightforward ones. Suffice to say, as I did earlier in the thread, that the factual situation is not at all the one that existed in the 70s, and we are not in remotely as good a position. At that time we were still discovering more oil than we were consuming. It is still the case that this hasn't happened in 40 years. You can't have that and an actual increase in supply; what's powered the reserves number growing (at a slower rate than consumption btw) is reclassification of previously known deposits.

Quote:
I point out a government group that's tasked with measuring and hopefully encouraging grid reliability, and you just ignore the evidence.

Again this is just a lie. I haven't ignored it, I've pointed out how it isn't relevant, because there are many ways to have grid reliability which are completely independent of whether we use EVs or not.

Quote:
I point out that Germany and the UK are in particular trouble, and are amassing debt simply to avoid having people unable to heat their homes

Like most of the other stuff you've pointed out, I addressed that head-on as well. You ignored the main point of my explanation vis a vis reliance on imports. You keep talking about 'running out' of oil, even though I specifically addressed the fact that we'll have a big problem long before we actually run out. I mean this whole post really just keeps saying 'what about this' relating to issues that I've addressed specifically and what I said has been ignored so that the same talking points can be repeated.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-01-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote