View Single Post
Old 01-01-2023, 10:34 PM   #9
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

@Young Drachma: Thanks for stopping by. I hope I can give you a story that's fun to follow.

October 2, 2021
Vince Robertson emails to tell us that his parents weren't impressed. They think there are better options for him, and want him to meet some other coaches. We're Vince's top choice, but I don't suppose that matters to his parents. We withdraw our offer, and wish him the best of luck.

This hurts, because Vince offers something that very, very few of the big men we're recruiting have: a good defensive rating. I want to make defensive excellence part of the DNA of our program, so a good grade for defense is one of the first things I look for in a recruit. Big Vince's grade is C-, which is actually not bad for the players we can realistically attract to our program.

We offer a scholarship to Al Wolfe. We think he's an even better defender than Robertson, grading him at B+ Right now, Al isn't showing a tremendous amount of interest in us. He's the only big we're all that thrilled about right now. We'll look at some other big men, hoping to find a sleeper, because there's really no Plan B for that spot right now.

Practice begins today, so it's time to set up our practice plan. Here it is:

Our veteran players know the 5 Out offense well. Apparently, it's what Coach Sims's predecessor ran. I'm phasing it out, because I want to make better use of Todd Adams's ability as an inside scorer.

November 13, 2021
There hasn't been much to report lately. Practice seems to be going well; the first year players are already twice as proficient with our Motion offense as they were a month ago.

We continue to recruit Al Wolfe. I'm concerned that he has us at #6 on his list, but his interest in our program is now Warm. His high school coach tells us he's a great leader, on and off the court.

None of the other big men whose film we've evaluated impress us much. For now, it's ride-or-die with Al.

Coach Sims makes his coaching debut on November 16, when Canisius visits Stabler Arena. The Mountain Hawks are picked to finish fifth in the Patriot League.

In case you haven't memorized all ten Patriot League logos, here's the projected finishing order:

1. Holy Cross
2. Army
3. Navy
4. Bucknell
5. Lehigh
6. Lafayette
7. American
8. Colgate
9. Loyola (MD)
10. Boston University

Last edited by MoonlightGraham : 01-01-2023 at 10:42 PM.
MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote