View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 07:11 PM   #49
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
Give me a break. All this says is I don't know jack shit about basketball. Purdue also forces very few turnovers and isn't very good defensively. The reason why? They don't play a high-intensity/aggressive/hand check defense like you see from most of the Big Ten. They don't pick up full-court and go for steals and generally are happy to sit back and let teams shoot over them. They have had a low foul rate out of conference and in conference by design.

Starting with the Nebraska game, everyone has started to employ a foul them all the time because they can't call them all defense vs Purdue and it's effective. Just watch the first possession on how Zed Key guards Edey, and remember this happens for 34 minutes a game that he plays.

The defense between the teams in the first possession literally tells you the story of why Purdue is going to have fewer fouls than essentially anyone they play. The difference in pressure on the perimeter and our bigs aren't typically leaning on opposing post players because no one really plays through the post anymore like Purdue does.

I'm somewhat familiar with the game

So you agree with me that Big Ten officials should actually call some fouls? My complaint isn't specifically with Purdue, it's with the style of basketball dictated by the officiating in the Big Ten. If Purdue is that handsy on defense and tries to run through picks in the NCAA tournament, they pick up plenty of fouls. Yes, they'll should draw more fouls as well (assuming they get a ref crew that will call a low post player correctly) but half the team will be in foul trouble.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote