View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 01:53 PM   #6
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Niiice, maybe this will make me fire up this game so I'm all for following this one.

Thanks, I'll try to make it through a whole season then.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

A number of holdups, both game related (I accidentally simmed too far and missed the expansion date so had to start setup again, I found out you cant select "cant be fired" in an ongoing game so had to start again, I had to set up graphics that were supposedly automatic) and not game related (Valentines Day dinner with Mrs Critch, had to watch the Caps lose again), but the game is finally at early pre-season 2024/25 and ready to go. The expansion draft has happened and the other expansion teams are loaded with 2.0 and 2.5 rated players that their old teams didnt think worth protecting, but the Anchorage roster is still clear and empty. All ready to be filled up with cheap dross.

First up, a quick summary of the two seasons that were simmed to get here:

2022/23
The Colorado Avalanche stomped everybody in the regular season, finished with a record number of points and wins, blowing away the old records. They finished with a 71-8-3 record for 145, 13 points more than the previous record and 9 wins more. Didnt win them the Stanley Cup though, Carolina were the top seed from the East and beat them 4 games to 2 in the final.

Alex Ovechkin got 42 goals to narrow the race for all time top goalscorer, think that's about 70-something behind Gretzky.

And Vancouver "won" the draft lottery and got themselves real-life generational talent Connor Bedard. A challenger for the coveted "best Canadian Hockey Player called Connor" title.

2023/24
After their record-breaking 2022/23 season the Avalanche fell off a cliff and could only win their division with a measly 96 points, they werent even the number 1 seed in the West! Losers could only make #2 seed, Edmonton were #1. President Trophy winners were Carolina with 112 points.

Stanley Cup final was Boston Bruins from the East against the West's Vegas Golden Knights, Boston Bruins won the cup in game 7. I bet their fans celebrated the cup with the class and restraint for which they are known.

Connor McDavid bounced back from a fairly down (for him) 2022/23 and scooped the MVP (Hart Trophy) and Most Points (Art Ross Trophy) with 135 points. Ovi is slowing down as a 38 year old, lower ratings but still got himself 35 goals and is now 37 behind Gretzky, it's a race against time now.

And Rookie Connor Bedard played the whole season in the NHL, 45 points in 76 games for the Canucks, but didnt win the Rookie award. He finished second to Shane Wright who was drafted 4th the year before but spent the year in the juniors. He got 46 points for Seattle.

So that's us up to date. First thing up will be the Entry draft lottery, I cant find anyway of not including the expansion teams in the draft and as all the expansion teams are lottery teams they'll be getting good picks. I'll be simming over and over til I get as low pick as possible. It would feel a little cheap to get the number one draft pick within a week of starting.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote