View Single Post
Old 02-26-2023, 03:55 PM   #130
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Your Lions breakdown was top notch, but on this part, I wanted to say that it seems to me 6th is an absolute gift. The Rams could easily have been a good playoff team again. At the time the trade was made, any Lions fan would have considered 6th to be incredibly fortunate. The pick is better than it has any right to be.

I also think the other thread on the Lions is giving me 'Raiders looking good in pre-season' vibes. Let's all remember that these are the Detroit Lions. They are not a normal professional sports franchise where the normal rules of logic, building for the future through the draft, and other such concepts apply.

These are the Detroit Lions, and they are still owned by a Ford. They are where successful coaches and former Heisman Trophy winners go to die (professionally speaking). As Jeff Goldblum would say ...

Fail ... Finds A Way.

I hear you about the pick. It's definitely a ton higher than anyone expected for sure. But I am really viewing it through the lens of expectations once it was clear how bad and beat up the Rams were. Once that was established, you essentially had two incredibly improbable victories cut hard against our draft position. It irks.

As for the Lions failing. Yeah, I hear you. The first Super Bowl I can remember watching was the 1980 Rams/Steelers one. So, I have been a fan of the Lions for 43 or so years now and have really known nothing but pain, disappointment, and crushing defeat as a NFL fan. (My second favorite team has always been the Browns, because my mom and her whole family is from Cleveland, so I am especially cursed.)

That being said, it's fun to feel positive for once. Will it all likely end in sorrow and heartache? Almost positively. But, it's fun to be excited and hope for more, especially when you start to actually see results. It's the fun of being a fan. Even one of this sad sack franchise.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote