View Single Post
Old 03-12-2023, 03:03 PM   #72
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

I spent some enjoyable time yesterday looking for information about how to improve my FBCB skills. Much of what I found, including this classic from this forum's past, was written over a decade ago, based on what I believe was an earlier version of the game. The advice looked very sound, so I hope it's still applicable to the current (2010) edition of FBCB.

I realized I've been interpreting the INS rating too narrowly. I took INS to be a skill that was mainly relevant to big men, because it related solely to post play. The game guide (which I had rarely looked at) mentions that players with a good INS rating are better at creating shots. Now I'm thinking of INS as a rating that affects a player's ability to get to the rim, whether he's a big who catches the ball down low or a slashing guard or wing. A player with a high JPS rating who's low in INS now seems to be a spot-up shooter who needs someone to get him the ball. That makes a lot of sense.

I haven't been considering INS at all when I'm evaluating SGs, and I've only noticed it in passing when I look at SFs. Now, I'm going to value it highly in any player I want to be a scorer.

September 1, 2013
I gathered another valuable insight regarding recruiting, which confirmed my original belief. If I'm recruiting a player who receives an offer from a school whose prestige level is more than about 10 points higher than mine, it's time to move on--especially if the player has listed the other school ahead of mine.

This is exactly what has happened with Jack Ostrander and Jermaine Whitfield. Ostrander has been offered by Villanova, and Whitfield has offers from Rhode Island and Rider in hand. There's probably no way I can sway Jack from the mighty Wildcats, and Jermaine has both other schools listed ahead of us. It's time to turn elsewhere.

Or is it? We haven't brought either Jack or Jermaine to campus for a visit, and we can do so this month. Let's look at the players we would turn to if we can't land our first choices.

Paul Newman has the skills we're looking for in a point guard. He lists Lafayette as his first choice, although he has an offer from Delaware. If we wait another month to see what Whitfield will do, will Newman sign with the Blue Hens?

Perry Scribner doesn't like us much anymore. His interest in our program has dropped to Average; he must not have enjoyed his visit to campus very much.

There are two players who are now looking more promising to me. One of them is Desmond White, a two-star recruit from Princeton, NJ.
HTML Code:
PG Desmond White -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Height: 6-2 Weight: 171 High School: Princeton High School Hometown: Princeton, NJ GPA: 2.57 Test Score: 980 Rating: ** Attributes: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Type INS JPS FTS 3PS HND PAS ORB DRB PSD PRD STL BLK QKN STR JMP STA -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Current: 42 34 39 60 52 53 1 18 25 1 59 10 87 22 53 22 Potential: C B C B B A C F D D C D Season Stats: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PTS OREB REB AST TOS A/T STL BLK PFS -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 12.6 1.0 3.6 5.4 2.8 1.96 1.2 0.2 4.0 Shooting Averages: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FGM FGA FG% FTM FTA FT% 3PM 3PA 3P% -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.5 11.8 .464 0.8 1.3 .577 0.9 3.5 .257 Recruiting Notes: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Qualified: Yes Current interest in Lafayette: Very High Rankings: None High School Awards: None Top 5 Schools: Lafayette, Long Island, Delaware State, Stony Brook, Brown

Desmond hasn't displayed the defensive chops we'd like to see, but in every other respect, he looks like he could be an effective combo guard. We're going to invite Desmond to campus, and Coaches Sims and Manion will visit him at home.

The other player, Justin Judkins, has slipped past everyone besides us so far.
HTML Code:
PG Justin Judkins -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Height: 6-1 Weight: 189 High School: Madison High School Hometown: Middletown, OH GPA: 3.53 Test Score: 1310 Rating: * Attributes: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Type INS JPS FTS 3PS HND PAS ORB DRB PSD PRD STL BLK QKN STR JMP STA -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Current: 44 28 62 26 50 38 39 33 17 19 25 20 59 45 26 0 Potential: B D B B C B C C F B D F Season Stats: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PTS OREB REB AST TOS A/T STL BLK PFS -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 8.1 1.7 5.4 6.0 3.2 1.88 1.5 0.3 3.2 Shooting Averages: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FGM FGA FG% FTM FTA FT% 3PM 3PA 3P% -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 3.4 9.0 .372 1.0 1.2 .826 0.4 3.4 .119 Recruiting Notes: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Qualified: Yes Current interest in Lafayette: Very High Rankings: None High School Awards: None Top 5 Schools: Lafayette
We're keeping an eye on Justin, as the "best of the rest" of our PG recruits.

After giving it some thought, I'm going to take one more shot at Ostrander and Whitfield. Both players will visit our campus this month. If they don't seem more excited about our program after they visit, we'll move on.

Carpe diem.
MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote