View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 06:44 PM   #440
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
They can't street race to their hearts content. It is illegal. Georgia statute puts it as a misdemeanor and it bears certain punishment. If you are convicted 3 times, it then becomes a felony with even greater weight of penalties. It is a close equivalent to DUI. First offense fines and such, but increases if you are convicted more than once, and I believe three times of that becomes a felony.

Vehicular homicide, at least in this state, can only be charged if the driver was directly responsible for the accident. You can say racing indirectly caused the accident here, but the direct cause was a drunk driver.

I get not liking that he isn't charged with more. Almost anytime there is a death we want harsh justice from someone. If the woman driving had survived, she would have faced some pretty heavy charges. But she did sadly pay the ultimate penalty in the end.

Obviously, already attracting the trolls here, so I'll limit this response and leave it at that. It's not about liking or disliking. It's about balancing rights. Which is far more complex than one can have in a judicial system.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote