Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 10:44 AM   #121
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The Israeli protests against Netanyahu's proposed judicial overhaul looks to be a seminal event. Wouldn't surprise me if the proposal peters out and Netanyahu loses the next election.

Don't live there and don't really know if the judiciary has too much power (as claimed by Netanyahu). CNN had an article documenting the differences between Israeli and US judiciary but still don't think it was enough to truly understand who is in the right.

Probably, like most things, there is some truth from both sides.

Regardless, I am suspicious of Netanyahu and so I'd lean towards this proposal being more bad than good. But ultimately, sounds like a constitutional amendment equivalent to decide and not just the party in power.

I think it is not so much a question of if the judiciary has too much power or not. There probably is truths on both sides of that discussion. The protests and opposition in general is more about the changes being pushed through by Netanyahu who is going through a corruption trial and how the changes seems to protect Netanyahu from the checks and balances of the Supreme Court. He has already made it illegal for the Supreme Court to declare the prime minister unfit for office leaving that decision up to a two third majority of the cabinet or... wait for it... the prime minister him or herself.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote