View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 05:49 PM   #259
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I pointed this out to my wife yesterday. Her work pays for her phone and I'm curious if they would ban it. Probably nt since they do a lot of business with China ( Duracell)

I don't think many people realize how far S.686 goes. Anyone not familiar with it needs to take a look. This bill would completely reshape the internet and give the government full control over it, your data, and any hardware, software, ect with a userbase over 1,000,000.

The way the bill is written the government could take a look at your ring data, alexa data, ect without letting you know. They just have to label something a threat to the US government and that's not something that's subject to review. The presidentially appointed Secretary of Commerce and his chosen board make that decision. Future secretaries can't even investigate past applications per the bill.

Want to use a VPN to get around the goverment overreach or keep the government from accessing your data when they want it (again, without letting you know)? Yeah, that's a now a felony under this bill.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote