View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023, 10:02 PM   #314
Edward64
Head Coach

I like this compromise. I think Biden is saying in vast majority of sports, it doesn't matter if there is a transgender student participating in either sex. But in select & highly competitive ones, acknowledge there may need to be some restrictions set.

But his proposed rule is pretty vague (purposely so I think) and I'm sure there'll be challenges and fine-tuning.

Title IX: Biden proposes rule for transgender student athletes that allows for some restrictions, opposes categorical bans | CNN Politics
Quote:
The Biden administration proposed Thursday a new federal rule change that would allow for schools to enforce some restrictions on transgender student athletes, but opposes policies that “categorically” ban those students from participating on sports teams consistent with their gender.

“The proposed rule would establish that policies violate Title IX when they categorically ban transgender students from participating on sports teams consistent with their gender identity just because of who they are,” according to a public notice from the US Department of Education.

“The proposed rule also recognizes that in some instances, particularly in competitive high school and college athletic environments, some schools may adopt policies that limit transgender students’ participation,” it continued.
Quote:
“For older students, especially at the high school and college level, the Department expects that sex-related criteria that limit participation of some transgender students may be permitted, in some cases, when they enable the school to achieve an important educational objective, such as fairness in competition, and meet the proposed regulation’s other requirements,” according to a summary of the proposed rule.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote