View Single Post
Old 04-17-2023, 04:07 PM   #3018
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So you have not been asked to provide a permit for the weapon in your vehicle, huh?

Not sure I understand your questioning but taking it on face value ...

In GA, I do not need to have a gun permit nor do I need a carry license. I just need to purchase the weapon legally e.g. buy at gun store, they do a background check, and I'm out the door in < 30 min or so.

When I've bought a weapon and took it home, or when I go to a gun range, I always have the weapon in the trunk. I've not been stopped for speeding or anything since college days but don't think it's SOP for police to ask unless they felt they had a reason to.

If I was stopped for speeding, per GA law, I don't need to volunteer that I have a weapon on me, trunk, glove compartment etc. But if I had the weapon case visible in the passenger side or holstered to my belt, I would make darn sure my hands were on the steering wheel, volunteer the info anyway (just smart thing to do), and comply with any police request.

The bottom line. You do not need to volunteer any information. But comply with instructions & answer any questions from the police in any situation (regardless if you have a gun in the car) ... without smart mouthing or any sudden movements.

Additional note. When I was in Arkansas for college, it was a normal to see shotguns and hunting rifles in a gun rack in a truck. College buddies and I would have our weapons in the car when we went shooting. We kept the weapons on campus (I believe that was allowed or at least not enforced).

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-17-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote