View Single Post
Old 04-28-2023, 05:22 PM   #328
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'd hesitate to judge it until 2-3 years have passed. They traded down when the only DE very likely to be worth #6 was taken. They picked up an early pick today and future value. And they took two guys whose average mock draft position was far lower than when they took them, but, and here's the key point, both do things that most starters at their positions don't do.

So that reflects a different philosophy, a different take on "best player available" than what more conservative teams exhibit. Either player may have been still available at 34. Or maybe not. It just takes one team. What do the Lions perceive as replacement level, or easily available in lower rounds?

I wouldn't give them an A grade, and I think they should have tried to trade down more if they concluded that Gibbs was worth the #12 pick because RBs, especially those his size, don't see the field enough to be worth it, but it's too early to say much. Drafting is never going to be an exact science. If it were, every team that passed on Tom Brady before he was taken at #199 gets an F, including the team that drafted him.

They seemed all in on Christian Gonzalez,any insight why they would not have grabbed him at 12? I know physicality was one knock, so wondering if they were hoping he would fall them at 18. I just don't see taking Gibbs that high as a need, when he would have most likely fallen to them at 34, then get the LB at 41.

Also Kancey would have filled a position of need at 18, even Smith-Njigbe there. Guess they could still get Joey Porter Jr at 34 if Pittsburgh doesn't jump on him.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-28-2023 at 05:24 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote