View Single Post
Old 04-29-2023, 03:14 PM   #49
Izulde
Head Coach

Code:
2019 Recruiting Rankings # Team Conference Best Player Rtg 5* 4* 3* 2* 1* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 38. Long Beach State Big West SF Kenneth Kohl *** 0 0 2 1 4 129. UC Davis Big West C Earl Witter *** 0 0 1 1 1 130. UC Riverside Big West PG Edward Davis *** 0 0 3 1 1 143. Hawaii Big West C Pascal Segard *** 0 0 1 1 0 208. Cal State Northridge Big West SG Kevin McKenzie *** 0 0 1 0 4 229. UC Santa Barbara Big West C Michael Dixon *** 0 0 1 0 1 242. UC Irvine Big West SF Flavio Jimenez ** 0 0 0 2 1 292. Cal State Fullerton Big West SG Domingo McNew ** 0 0 0 2 0 318. Pacific Big West SF Lawrence Parry * 0 0 0 0 1 327. Cal Poly Big West PF George Mosby * 0 0 0 0 1

Kevin McKenzie is our lone saving grace. The recruiting class looks terrible at first blush - including a Red/Red I badly misfired on scouting. We got a couple very late commit big men - one of whom looks like a SF or even SG - but their Red/Green scouting turned out Red/Orange.

Not good at all. If I get a job offer, I'm taking it.

The AD is thrilled with me, but says, "Now I expect you to play in the Big Dance." Excuse me, sir? I JUST LOST MY MOST TALENTED CLASS EVER AND HAVE GARBAGE TO WORK WITH! WHY ARE YOU JUMPING FROM .500 IN THE BIG WEST TO THE NCAA TOURNAMENT APPEARANCE?!

Prairie View A&M moves to the Summit, Western Illinois to the SWAC.

Coach Movement
James Albrecht of the 100 Recruiting and Coaching Offense gets hired by San Diego from UC-Riverside. The Toreros have never made the postseason and their best record is a .500 finish two years ago. Their facilities (29) are 5th best in the conference, and they're a 53 prestige mid-tier WCC school. The Highlanders have way better facilities (43) and virtually the same prestige, but the WCC is a 4 prestige conference to the Big West's 2.

The Highlanders hire 61 year old Gerald Yarbrough from USC. A recruiting god (100) but literally can't do anything else. And it's not like the Trojans are a powerhouse squad - they've made the Tournament 5 times out of 7 seasons, but have only made it as far as the Sweet 16 once. Very, very odd choice.

No offers for me, sadly, so we'll have to plow ahead with this scary roster and demanding expectations.

Our prestige jumps to 27, which places us 7th out of 10 in the Big West. Keep on climbing, keep on climbing.

There's a lot of fantastic players who have interest in us, including some guys who are pretty big fish comparatively speaking, so we fire off our three offers and hope we can land them all. We miss on two, losing to UC-Riverside and UNLV respectively, but are still the only ones in on a foreign recruit.

Tony Salazer and Kevin McKenzie are willing to redshirt, so we take advantage of that to try and space out our recruiting classes a little more.

We have probably our best backcourt in school history, but our depth is terribly weak - hence why we're going from 9 Pace to 2 and using a lot of motion. We're also switching from our Matchup Zone defense to a 3-2 zone for what I think is the first time. Definitely bringing the pressure all the time.

Nice to see the Truman Cain leap in color potential, but our frontcourt is the worst it's been in some time. Our post defense in particular is TERRIBLE outside of shotblocking, so I'm scared to see what's going to happen.

I'll probably still be here next year, and we'll have to see if we can update our recruit map.

@ Western Illinois
For the first time, we have a 6/5 home and road split rather than the 4/7 from all the previous years. I suspect that's tied to prestige. The Leathernecks have been so bad, they demoted to the SWAC, but I think they still look better than us on paper. I'm writing this down as an L.

Shooting differential of like 30% gives us a 29-25 edge at the half and it turns into a 64-53 win when transfer Gregory Lau scores 12 points in 11 minutes to win PotG. Dennis Luther scores 11 with 3 steals.

@ Stony Brook (0-1)
They're built a lot like us - on turnover generation. No rebounders to speak of and their post defense is also bad. I like us to beat the Seawolves, actually. They've had a run of three straight seasons with exactly 10 wins, which is their most successful streak to date.

We're up just 34-33 at the half. Our 53.3% at the line to their 90% is killing us and preventing a takeover the game, which should have happened. Luckily their shooting hits the skids in the second half and we grind out a 72-65 win. The Butterfly Man scores 15 with 5 assists and 3 steals, but Geoffrey Blodgett is PotG with 12 points and 4 steals - part of a 24 turnover forcing. Truman Crain scores 13 with 2 blocks and a steal. Nice imitation of Winston Reyes in his good year there.

So it's a nice 2-0 before the gauntlet of three losses comes on the road. Then we're all home games the rest of the non-conference schedule. I've been quietly impressed that this team has performed the way it has so far. We've had excellent shooting differential

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote